Tuesday briefing: CONMEBOL president linked to recovered FIFA scandal funds
Tuesday briefing: CONMEBOL president linked to recovered FIFA scandal funds
IMAGO
19 May 2026 - 4:30 AM
Alejandro Domínguez, president of South American football body CONMEBOL, is facing an internal ethics complaint alleging that he received millions of dollars from funds recovered after the 2015 FIFA corruption investigation, according to The New York Times.
The complaint, filed by a whistleblower said to have direct knowledge of the matter, alleges that Domínguez and another senior CONMEBOL official received more than $5 million linked to money returned to the federation following corruption cases involving former football executives.
Three people familiar with the complaint told The New York Times that senior FIFA officials had known about the allegations for more than a year before the matter reached FIFA’s ethics committee.
World Cup scrutiny grows
The allegations emerge weeks before the men’s World Cup begins, placing renewed attention on governance within international football and on Domínguez, who also serves as one of FIFA’s vice presidents.
Domínguez became CONMEBOL president in 2016 after his predecessor was indicted following a United States Department of Justice investigation that uncovered more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks tied to football marketing and media rights across South and North America.
Southampton face further spying allegations from Championship clubs
Southampton are alleged to have spied on other Championship clubs during the season, according to evidence submitted to the English Football League (EFL) ahead of next week’s play-off disciplinary hearing.
The club have pleaded guilty to spying on a Middlesbrough training session before last week’s Championship play-off semi-final, with Middlesbrough now seeking Southampton’s removal from the final against Hull City at Wembley on May 23.
Telegraph Sport reported the EFL has received written evidence alleging Southampton also observed at least one other rival team’s training sessions this season.
Widen pressure on Southampton
The EFL is expected to hold a hearing on Tuesday and is considering whether the Championship play-off final should be postponed while the case is reviewed. Middlesbrough are understood to be dissatisfied they will not attend the hearing directly.
Other Championship clubs are also believed to have privately questioned Southampton’s knowledge of opposition tactics and set-piece routines during matches this season. If an independent panel concludes the club repeatedly spied on rivals, Southampton could face expulsion from the play-off final.
FIFA media rights executives visit India amid World Cup broadcast deadlock
FIFA media rights executives are visiting India this week as negotiations over broadcasting rights for next month’s Club World Cup remain unresolved, according to a report from Reuters. No Indian broadcaster has yet secured the rights less than three weeks before the tournament begins on June 11.
FIFA said in a statement to Reuters that it had concluded media rights agreements in more than 180 territories, while discussions in India were continuing and “must remain confidential at this stage”.
Talks between FIFA and the Reliance-Disney joint venture, India’s biggest media company, have failed to produce an agreement. Sony has also not submitted a bid. India risks missing live television coverage of the tournament if no deal is reached before the competition starts.
Pricing gap remains obstacle
Reliance-Disney offered around $20 million for the rights, while FIFA initially sought $100 million and was later seeking at least $60 million. It remains unclear whether FIFA executives are meeting representatives from the venture during the visit.
The delay leaves limited time for broadcasters to establish distribution arrangements and sell advertising inventory before the opening match. Football has an estimated 85 million fans in India.