The most important stories from the business of football: QPR CEO vehemently oppose EFL plan; Liverpool delay Nike deal; Charlton stars refuse to play; MLS players agree to salary cuts

1 June 2020

Lee Hoos
Photo: PA Images Queens Park Rangers CEO Lee Hoos admits he has been left "stunned" by Sunday evening’s announcement from the EFL regarding a provisional return date for the Sky Bet Championship.
Mads Meisner Christensen mm@offthepitch.com

QPR CEO "appalled" by EFL plans for 20 June restart
CEO Lee Hoos is not at all happy with EFL's plans for the Championship to return on 20 June. He said there was no consultation on the matter, claiming clubs learned of the news just 40 minutes before it came out at 21:00 BST on Sunday. "I am absolutely stunned by this announcement," Hoos added.

No Championship fixtures have been played since 8 March.

"Incredibly, there has been absolutely no consultation with individual clubs nor with the Championship doctors' working group by the divisional representatives - or anyone else in the Football League - regarding this matter," Hoos told the QPR website.

"Having spoken with our director of football Les Ferdinand and our manager Mark Warburton, they share my views. We are vehemently opposed to this schedule."

He underscores that the players haven’t even returned to full-contact training at this moment and yet they are now expected to be in a position to play at a competitive level in just three weeks’ time.

"I have made our feelings known to the EFL and, having spoken with a number of CEOs at other Championship clubs, I am not a lone voice on this matter," Hoos said.


 

Liverpool delay Nike deal, New Balance to continue as kit supplier
Liverpool's record-breaking kit deal with Nike has been pushed back two months to the beginning of August.

It means that the club will lift the Premier League title this season in the current kit provided by New Balance, who will continue on until July 31.

Liverpool were set to begin a new long-term relationship with Nike on June 1 after last year winning a High Court battle against New Balance, who tried to utilise their matching clause for what Nike had offered. But the ruling went against New Balance and Liverpool were free to start a new partnership this summer.

However, with the Premier League season put on hold for three months due to the coronavirus, Liverpool have agreed to continue in their 2019/20 New Balance shirt when the campaign resumes.


 

Charlton stars refuse to play when the Championship season resumes
Charlton manager Lee Bowyer has revealed to talkSPORT that three of his players, including striker Lyle Taylor, are refusing to play when the Championship returns.

The second tier is set to resume on June 20, which is the desired result for Bowyer as his side now have the chance to escape the clutches of relegation.

Bowyer said to talkSPORT: “It’s a difficult one for us. We have 15 players out of contract and we have six loans and nine of our own contracted players out [at other clubs]. Unfortunately for us three of those players have said they’re not going to play, and Lyle is one of them."

According to Lee Bowyer, Lyle Taylor has said he’s not going to play because of risk of injury. The two others, Chris Solly has said the same and David Davis is on loan from Birmingham and he’d said he doesn’t want to come back and play games.



MLS players agree to salary cuts
Major League Soccer players have agreed a pay cut to help offset the financial impact of coronavirus, as well as plans to resume the season.

The Washington Post said that the wage cuts amount to around 7.5 per cent and that teams and players have also given the green light to proposals over a tournament involving all 26 MLS clubs in June in which all teams would be housed in a “controlled environment” at a Disney hotel for several weeks.

To help the status of the league, which has enjoyed a remarkable amount of growth over the last 10 years, players have agreed to take an array of concessions with their clubs. As well as wage cuts, players have also agreed to a cut in their bonus payments.

Major League Soccer's Players' Association (MLSPA) said in a statement: "The package has been formally submitted to the league for a decision by the owners. While a difficult vote in incredibly challenging times, it was taken collectively to ensure that players can return to competition as soon as they are safely able to do so."


 

Wigan Athletic make changes to board of directors
The Championship club have made big changes to its board of directors as part of a transfer of power. Next Leader Fund L.P - which is jointly-owned by Dr. Stanley Choi, chairman of club owners International Entertainment Corporation (IEC), is taking control.

IEC voted unanimously to approve the change on Friday. And following on from the vote, Wigan Athletic have made changes at the top.

Files posted on the government's Companies House show directors Kevin Roberts, Wing Lam Leung, Chi Wai Lee, Tat Man Cheung and Xuemei Chen have had their appointments terminated.

Meanwhile, Chun Kit Chan, Wai Kay Au Yeung and Man Chun Szeto have been appointed directors of the club. Executive chairman Darren Royle and chief executive Jonathan Jackson remain directors, as does Joe Royle.