22 December 2021 - 10:00 AM
Match of the Week Primeira Liga: Financial head-to-head FC Porto v Benfica
- While many European leagues are laying low for the remainder of 2021, Portuguese football still has loads to offer, as two of “Os Três Grandes” (the Big Three) clubs will clash twice before the year ends.
- Both times, Benfica will travel to Estádio do Dragão to play FC Porto – first in the quarter-finals of the cup and next in the league.
- Benfica and Porto are the two most successful teams in Portugal, and together with Sporting they have won all but two league titles ever.
- Off the pitch, Porto outperformed Benfica in 2020/21, as they managed an after-tax profit of about €33 million, while the Lisbon club experienced a €17 million loss.
- Both clubs are heavily reliant on good European performances and making profit from player sales, and Porto’s financially strong year reflects success in these areas.